4-year-old wears her mum's wedding dress.The reason will make you cry...
"It’s something she really wanted to do for her daughter to always feel connected to her."
4-year-old Nora Davis had a wonderful time on a photoshoot while wearing her mum's dress. However, it was a bittersweet moment since the photoshoot was her late mother's wish.
"We have to do this for Nora"
Amber Davis, Nora's mother, was diagnosed with a rare form of cervical cancer. When she found out that her illness was terminal, she felt that she should do something special for her beloved daughter.
According to Heidi Spillane, Amber's close friend and a photographer, “Amber saw a photo of a little girl in her mother’s wedding dress, sent it to me and said, 'We have to do this for Nora.' “It’s something she really wanted to do for her daughter to always feel connected to her.”
Sadly, Amber didn't live to see her dream come true.
"It was just happy and that’s how Amber wanted it to be"
A year after Amber's death, Heidi talked to Amber's family and asked if they were ready to have a photoshoot. She adds that she was worried that the day might be heavy, but everything changed once she saw that Nora was so excited for the photoshoot.
Amber's sister, Adrianne Scott Blackwelder, shares “We had her pampered by one of Amber’s good friends. We went to the place where Derek and Amber were married. We talked about the wedding. Nora felt the day and experience was very special. Kids are so innocent and sweet. It was just happy and that’s how Amber wanted it to be.”
"She has shown her mother's warrior spirit"
During the photoshoot, Nora wore her mother's wedding dress, and her hair was styled the same way that her mum had it on her wedding day. Her aunt, grandmother, and father looked on as she posed for the photos.
Her father, Derek, shares, "She looked so innocent and wise at the same time. Nora has had to endure many things someone her age should not have to. Through it all she has shown her mother’s warrior spirit."
What you need to know about cervical cancer
Cervical cancer is a type of cancer that starts in a woman's cervix, or the lower part of the uterus. It affects all women, but it occurs most often in women aged 30 and above. The main cause of cervical cancer is HPV, which is a common virus that can be spread through sexual intercourse.
Thankfully, cervical cancer can be easily prevented, and it's also easy to cure when found early.
Preventing cervical cancer
Here are some steps that you can take in order to prevent cervical cancer:
- Get tested for cervical cancer. Having a Pap smear or an HPV test can help screen for different forms of cervical cancer. Finding cervical cancer early can ensure that it can be easily cured.
- Know the symptoms. Early on, cervical cancer doesn't have any symptoms. However, advanced cervical cancer can cause irregular bleeding or discharge.
- Get vaccinated. Having yourself vaccinated against HPV is one of the best ways to prevent cervical cancer as the vaccine protects you from the most common forms of HPV that also cause cervical cancer
- Get regular checkups. Having regular visits to your doctor can ensure that any signs and symptoms of cervical cancer can known as early as possible, and a proper form of treatment can be created.
- Quit smoking. In addition to being one of the causes of lung cancer, smoking can also put you at risk for HPV and cervical cancer.
- Use condoms during intercourse. As HPV can be transmitted sexually, it's best to use condoms during intercourse to avoid being infected.
This article is republished with permission from theAsianparent.